Comestible ou mangeable?
koh-may-stee-bloo mah-ZHAH-bluh? Click below to hear this.*
Uh-oh, here she comes again with her conundrums. I’m sure that’s what you’re thinking.
But pay attention. This one’s important, assuming you enjoy life and want to continue doing so.
Some things are comestibles and some are not. The things that are not include most of the stuff in your bathroom cabinets, certain mushrooms, many houseplants, and even chocolate, if you happen to be a dog. In other words, comestible means edible as in “not poisonous”.
Mangeable, on the other hand, concerns gourmands (people who like to eat) and picky eaters: people with opinions about what’s worth eating and what’s not. In my book, pickles, tripe, and eggplant are not particularly mangeables. I’m sure you have your own list. The word does mean edible, but in a more frivolous way. Personal opinions are allowed.
Note that there are stores in France that sell COMESTIBLES. They are grocery stores, or they sell groceries among other items. That label does not imply any distinction between poisonous and non-poisonous. It’s just food.
Some items cross the line between mangeable and comestible. The Christmas fruitcake is one. I actually like a slice of good fruitcake, but some of it tastes more like the phone book. Not comestible.
*Some mobile phones, such as Blackberries, won’t display the audio player. If no player appears, here’s an alternative link to the audio file: